Thursday, April 3, 2014

ReThink Your Words

*Parental Guidance noted for this post. It discusses strong language and sex trafficking.*

Whore. Slut. Tramp. Ho. Harlot. Hooker. Bimbo. Floozy. Broad. Streetwalker. Hussy. Jezebel. Minx. Tart. Trollope. Wench. Prostitute.

These are the words we causally throw around for various reasons and occasions. One friend calls her dog a "hussy", another exclaimed in frustration at a game "Columbian gutter slut", and I have exclaimed more than once in anger "whore" or "ho". More times than I care to admit, my friends and I have made light of working the street corner. When people notice my high heels, they ask if I'm helping or joining in on the work. I throw off the comments, and have been proud that nothing offends me.

Until I was driving home yesterday and I had the realization:

Some things are worth being offended over.

With over 42 million sex slaves world wide, it is not a joke.
90% want to exit but do not know how, it is not a casual part of life.
95% are problematic drug users, trying desperately to fade out of a life they are forced to participate in.
Every two minutes, a child is purchased for sex, somewhere in the world. 
75% of sex slaves enter between the ages of 13-25.

It is not a joke.
It is not funny.
It is not appropriate under ANY circumstance.
It not casual.

Sex trafficking is real.
It is a crime.
It is happening in every country- even the USA.

It is no longer acceptable to say words such as nigger, 'spic, nazi and the like because of atrocities that have occurred in the past, sometimes decades ago. If people can be fired, blacklisted, and shunned for using words that no longer have the emphasis they once did, surely there must be a standard for using whore, slut, etc due to the slavery existing today.

In no way do I mean to offend. If nothing else, I am speaking to myself. I want to raise a standard that it is not ok to use these words that tear down and refer to these women as second class citizens. It is not acceptable for me to treat it as a casual occurrence in my language. It is worth standing up for, to call to remembrance. Sex trafficking is happening everyday. They deserve to not be ignored. They deserve respect, and these women, men, and children deserve to not be joked about by the mass population overlooking their existence. 

It is no longer funny. Nor should it ever have been. 

To all my friends, I apologize for allowing the course jokes. I apologize for joining in on them as well. 
To the people who have been or are victims of trafficking, I deeply apologize for making light of your situation. You are the treasure in my heart, and I should have never allowed my mind to even dare make laughter at the expense of your suffering. There is no apology that can make that ok. Nevertheless, I do apologize, and I am rethinking my words. 

#beavoice #rethinkyourwords

Peace & Blessings
Ashley

~*~Leave a Legacy that will Make a Difference in the World Around You.~*~

1 comment:

  1. You my dear have spoken words that utter the Fathers heart for his children. I am glad to be called your Mom..

    ReplyDelete