Monday, June 30, 2014

A Lasting Embrace

       
         

There are some moments that only those who travel away from 'home' will understand. Such moments are those when you wish a goodbye and linger in an embrace, never knowing when you will once again see someone you are departing from. The emotions are almost indescribable, and nearly unbearable. It as if you are tearing your very own soul as you leave. I've heard it said "love don't cost a thing" but surely that must be one of the biggest falsehoods in recent history. Love costs everything~ your life, breath, hopes and dreams. I have gone from being in contact with no family to being overwhelmed with family members that I desire to keep in contact with in some way. Most of all in these recent restorations is the return of my brother, my real brother, into my life. I was amazingly blessed to not only speak with him on the phone, not only have a lunch face to face with him, but to spend an entire weekend with him as both of us attended a surprise birthday party/family reunion for our Grandmother on our dad's side. Neither of us had been back to that side of the family in over a decade. 

Not knowing where to begin, we both dove in, tears first, into being reunited as brother and sister, something I've prayed for many times over, and all throughout my time overseas. We both have walked places we never thought we would, made mistakes we said would never be made, and both suffered harsh losses that resulted in poor decisions and depression. In the end though, somehow, we both have come out as stronger people and are learning how to readjust and reach out. We have been apart for so long, yet still, the blood thread that binds us as siblings has proven strong. We are fiercely loving, protective, understanding, and most of all, sorrowful of the time lost. 

If nothing else, the time I have spent away has taught me to treasure the time I am present. I believe my brother has learned this same thing throughout his own journey in life. Take nothing for granted. Love deeply. Invest in relationships with people that matter to you. Make people, not items, priorities. Fight for those you love, including time to spend with them. Life and time are far too precious and too soon stolen for us to hold petty grudges or give up on people we say are friends or family. I regret the years lost through family fighting and I regret the unwritten letters and undialed phone calls. Though I was only a child during those lost years, I refuse to make excuses now as to why I am not involved with family. I will love and reach out and try as best I can. 

This was the first step. The first of many.

Peace & Blessings
Ashley

~*~Leave a Legacy that will Make a Difference in the World Around You.~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment