Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Batman Begins: Defining Your Life

           
        

While watching the classic movie, Batman Begins, the story caught my interest in an entirely new light.

Meet Bruce Wayne, billionaire son of the murdered darlings of Gotham City. He takes on the darkness and evil within the city, all in the name of justice. He doesn't seem to doubt that the city can see salvation once again, nor does he doubt his ability to create a symbol that could spur this into action. 

Transforming into Batman, Bruce Wayne gives up the right to a normal life, love and a future, all for the sake of doing what must be done. Though I am no winged-caped crusader running around in the dark, I did identify with Batman as never before.

As I have walked towards being a Full Time missionary, particularly in the red light districts of Asia, I have struggled with the idea of surrender. My life will consists of many sacrifices from the normal and routine that most Americans know and take for granted. It is that same routine and normality that I came to crave once my feet hit the United States soil, knowing that once I go back to Hong Kong, my life will never be the same again. My future husband will never have a normal wife who stays home and cooks and cleans. Rather, I will be out till late hours, ministering in the streets to addicts and prostitutes, being propositioned and being in the least lovely of locations in the city. I will travel home once a year and split my time between nearly two or three different states and possibly a half dozen churches. My time schedule will battle on whether to come hme for weddings or graduations, youth weekend retreats or Christmas. 

These are just a random few of the thoughts that have raced through my mind as I prepare to become my own form of Batman and do what must be done to save my version of Gotham. Again, I am nothing like Batman. I have received minimal self-defense training, have no knowledge of how to shoot a gun, and my favorite  weapon of choice for years has been a knife or pen (neither of which I have actually ever used). I'm a fiery Irish woman with a tenacious heart for doing what's right. I have a heart for the broken. If I know nothing else, I know I am called to love and to love the broken. Love is my true weapon of choice. Ever since I was a child, one of my favorite sayings was, "Kill them with kindness." I won many a grumpy person over with that attitude, and it seems to work with most everyone, with enough patience and enough time. 

I have many faults, including a short fuse when it comes to people not wanting to do what's right. I can become easily frustrated when I don't understand something, and annoyed when I cannot figure it out. I hate being rushed and am my own worst enemy when it comes to being a perfectionist. When others pile their opinions upon me, it only worsens the monster within, and it is still something I am learning to tame.

Regardless of my inconsistencies, it is what I do that defines me. We all have our weaknesses, faults, and issues, but it is what we do that truly defines us.

What I do is outreach beyond my own strength. There must be something greater within me, because I do not have the power or strength to go night after night till nearly 2am in the morning, and watch innocent girls be purchased by men old enough to be my father. 

What I do is dances and dramas that touch deeper into their hearts than words ever could. I listen with ears tuned to heaven and a hand on their shoulder. I smile with a touch of grace for the wounded soul and humor to calm the storm within them. What I do is nothing more than worthless, if not done out of love. If it is not done with the realization that what I do DOES make a difference, and to stop trying would surely be admitting defeat. If I do this without acknowledging the power above me that empowers me to love, give, laugh, cry, and smile with each person I meet during an outreach, I have accomplished nothing. Truly, I could not do what I do without something more than myself.

Bruce Wayne drew on the love of his father as a way to make it through his hardest times as the Batman. I too draw on the love of my heavenly Father to bring me through the darkest nights in the red light districts. In the battle of the heart, it is always good that wins, because good never allows evil to rule. I will never allow for defeat because God is good and good is greater than evil ever will be.

It is what you do that defines you.

So what are you doing?


Peace & Blessings
Ashley 

~*~Leave a Legacy that will make a Difference in the World Around You.~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment