Tuesday, August 26, 2014

FOCUSLife

Sometimes there is just too much going on in my mind. Actually, that happens more often than not. Finally able to enjoy a day off and be able to do research for my next newsletter, yet my mind is shooting off in a million different directions and there isn't enough time in the universe to do all that my mind can fathom. I desperately wish a friend were here to shake me and yell "FOCUS!" However, I'm by myself in a library sparsely filled with strangers. It is up to myself to shake out of this melancholy mind battle that churns inside my brain. 

So what shall I share with you today? I have done preliminary research on how a pimp becomes a pimp, and will be sharing some of my finds in my August newsletter. The availability of this information was more than I had even hoped for. The research dates back to their childhood, and the atmosphere they grew up around. So many factors play into the making of an American pimp, and I look forward to delving into the international research once I've completed this section on American pimps. 

To clarify, a 'pimp' is a man who holds control or ownership over one or more prostitutes. Often, they keep this control through violence, false promises, or threats to their family. Pimps keep a tight reign on the money earned, only allowing the girls enough to live on, while the pimps spend the money on other delights that we see~ the expensive cars, flashy clothes, and 'bling'. Unfortunately, I have noticed the glorification of pimps in media. Young boys joke about being a pimp, because a pimp is equated with as being cool. I've heard one of my youth boys say he is a pimp, and one of close friends that's a teacher also has students that say they are a pimp. 

This is not acceptable.

Parents, siblings, leaders, and friends: a PIMP is a sex trafficker. They operate illegally, harmfully, and should not be glorified. They come from broken homes, so they don't need hate. They need accountability and understanding, but not glorification. Most pimps operate for several decades, purchasing and selling young women and girls. The average starting age for a pimp is 18 years old. The average age a girl enters prostitution? 12-14 years old.  

I think I'll just let that settle for awhile.

Peace & Blessings
Ashley 

No comments:

Post a Comment